A twist on the classic Italian green pesto. Here’s a delicious way to get more green vegetables into your diet. This recipe is an absolute go to for my family when we are craving something tasty and comforting.
- 400g pasta
- 250g tender stem broccoli
- 1 courgette
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large lemon
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 large handfuls of basil
- 1–2 tbsp Nakasero Giardiniera plus 2 tbsp brine
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 6–8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- Blanch the broccoli in slightly salty water for 2 minutes, just to soften slightly.
- Drain and rinse the broccoli in cold water and set aside.
- Bring a saucepan of salty water to the boil for the pasta. A top tip for pasta, your water should taste as salty as the sea.
- To make the pesto, add the following to a food processor and blend to a semi-smooth pesto:
- 180g blanched broccoli
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Salt, to taste
- Basil, save a few leaves for garnish
- 3/4 of the Parmesan
- Chop the courgette in sticks.
- In a nonstick pan, heat the remaining olive oil.
- Stir fry courgettes until they are tender and slightly chard then set aside.
- Add the remaining pine nuts to the saucepan and dry roast until lightly golden.
- Add the pesto mixture and finely chopped chillies or chilli flakes to the pan and stir fry for a minute. This releases all the wonderful flavours and aromas from your pesto!
- Add the remaining broccoli, courgettes, pasta, couple of twists of pepper, Giardiniera and brine to the pan and toss until everything is evenly coated with pesto.
- If it seems dry and needs loosening, add some more olive oil.
- Plate up, garnish with a sprinkle of the remaining Parmesan and torn basil leaves and enjoy!
- Send us a snap of your creation!
For a vegan option: Replace the Parmesan with 4-5 tbsp nutritional yeast